My Thoughts on Going Instagram Viral
This week I had my first video go viral on Instagram....
While the majority of people were kind-hearted - there were those few who focused on my weight rather than the beautiful moment.
People have always treated me less than because of my size and for years I'd let it tear me down. It messed with my mental health so much that as a teen I had multiple suicide attempts, hospitalizations, and in my early 20s battled addiction. At my thinnest, I was strung out daily, committing crimes, and hurting those around me. While I was in rehab I watched "The Secret", a movie about the law of attraction, and something clicked. I no longer cared that people thought I was fat because I was still achieving things in my life. I got clean and started moving forward.
Over the course of the next twelve years (while fat) I've:
- Became a mom
- Graduated top of my class with my bachelors degree
- Ran an innovative 988 follow up program as a Director
- Been to dozens of concerts (including snake pit at Metallica)
- Went to Alaska, DC, Canada, Arizona, Missouri, Kansas, and more.
- Received a House Resolution in my name from the state of Tennessee.
- Been to multiple national parks and hiked to some very cool spots!
- Wrote multiple children's books based on my photography
- and so much more!
| I was waiting to see wild horses at Echo Bluff state park in Missouri. We didn't see any but that view was beautiful. |
So what made people so hateful and mean this time?
I was gifted my dream lens from my husband for Christmas. A confident, loved, happy, FAT women posted a video of themselves ugly crying over their amazing husbands thoughtful gift and people got MAD. You can see the video here.
Most people who make mean, demeaning comments have private profiles or no posts.
I have the confidence to post something on the internet that shows my life in raw happiness and emotion.
![]() |
| Image taken on the new lens! 😍 |
I thought about calling out these people in my blog...
But instead I want to acknowledge the overwhelming love and support I received! I was laid off in October and Through The Krystal Lens is my passion project to photography into an income. I can't say enough how grateful I am for all the wonderful people who went to bat for me in the comments, made beautiful comments about the video, or gave me a follow. THANK YOU. It really means the world to have this much support. 💚💚💚
There are more good, kind-hearted people in the world than there are rude, unkind individuals.
But what about all those mean comments and assumptions about you?
Meh. Fuck them. Giving them any more of my energy just feeds into what they want. When we focus on negativity, we're going to bring in negativity. It's not an easy thing to do but it's something that I've lived by since entering recovery. They don't know what goes on in my life. They made assumptions based on a snapshot in time.
So why make this blog?
I know diet culture is on it's way back in with Ozempic and other weight loss options - but this isn't about the weight at the end of the day. The video was a beautiful moment where I felt pure love, joy, and happiness and so many people instead focused on my size without at knowledge of what's gong on in my life. The same thing happens to individuals deemed "too skinny." It's not a weight thing, it's a hate thing. People don't like seeing others happy or confident when they're hurting inside.
There are young girls and women who may look just like me and see those comments - who then turn them inward. Don't let it. I know that's easier said than done but they don't know your character, your ambitions, your past, present, or future. They're making an ass out of themselves based on an assumption not even relevant to the moment in time.
There may be another fat person who is nervous to post or who loves photography and hiking, but doesn't think they can do it. Or someone who looks different that doesn't think they could ever find love... and because of THAT I'll keep posting what I want and living my life. We may look different but beauty isn't mutually exclusive to one type of person.
At the end of the day, none of what they say matters and their hate just helps build my dream! My husband loves me, supports me, and I wouldn't have it any other way!
Best,
Through the Krystal Lens
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
Comments
Post a Comment