Happy Birthday to Me.

 

Birthday Wishes. 


Today is my 36th birthday. This little girl is now a middle-aged woman. 

Krystal as a toddler.
It's wild to think how far life has taken me. As a middle schooler I didn't think making it to my 30's, let alone my 36th birthday, would happen. I've been so grateful for all my life experiences thus far. 

In order to celebrate - check out 36 images that I've taken during my 30s. 

36. First Capital, Kansas 

Fort Riley, Kansas

A few years back I had the opportunity to visit one of my best friends at Fort Riley, Kansas. I love historic architecture so this was a very exciting find. 

35. Backyard Cardinal 

Big Rock, Tennessee

After I turned 30 I discovered birding and dove straight into all things ornithology. I took so many photos of cardinals that I wrote a children's book with images. Check it out here. 

34. Oh Deer

Cross Creeks National Wildlife Refuge

Catching a glimpse of a deer is always a fun catch, especially if they let you get a little closer. This deer was enjoying the left behind crops as a midday snack. 

33. Yellow Droplets 

Big Rock, Tennessee 

We own a few acres in Big Rock, Tennessee and are lucky enough to have a variety of wild flowers growing throughout the property. One spring morning the dew made this little fellow glow in the morning light. 

32. An Indiana Sunset 

Huntington County, Indiana 

I have family in Northern Indiana which means that every once in the while I get the pleasure of seeing a sunset against the summer crop. 

31. Winter Moss 

Big Rock, Tennessee 

One of my favorite parts about winter in the south is the moss and fungi coming alive. They take over downed branches and I get to get up close with their beauty. 

30. Delores, the Raccoon 

Big Rock, Tennessee 

Oh Delores. This raccoon soon became my little buddy - although I never got to pet her - I did handfeed her tortilla chips through my window. #winning

29. Henry Ford Museum

Dearborn, Michigan 

A few years ago I had the opportunity to spend sometime exploring the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. It was a great solo adventure learning history!

28. Octagon Hall, Kentucky 

Franklin, Kentucky

Another great time was exploring Octagon Hall in Kentucky. The uniqueness of this building (and the haunted history) makes it a must to include in this list. 

27. Blue Jay 

Big Rock, Tennessee 

Blue Jays have are one of the most recognizable birds in the United States. For me, they're the best little photography clients. 

26. Tree Veins 

Land Between the Lakes, Tennessee

I love the look of the canopy of trees, especially in the winter. 

25. Sails and Flights 

Outside Vancouver, Canada

In 2024 we had the opportunity to take an Alaskan cruise which resulted in a number of favorite shots. 

24. Burgess Falls 
Burgess Falls, Tennessee 

This hike is one that I will always hold dear. I love hiking but limit myself a lot of the time. While 35 I accomplished two hikes as a fat woman that I didn't think I could do. 

23. Black-Eyed Who? 
Big Rock, Tennessee

We've been working on planting pollinator friendly flowers and discovered a few Black-Eyed Susan's this year! 

22. Stones River Cedar Grove 

Stones River National Battlefield

On my 35th birthday my family took me to Murfreesboro to see Stones River National Battlefield. While there we learned about Cedar Groves and their ecological importance. 


21. Agnus the Kitten 
Big Rock, Tennessee

Earlier this year a cat followed my daughter home and she ended up giving birth to five kittens. This sweet face was a momma's girl who we decided to keep and name Agnus!

20. The Back Forty 

Fort Campbell, Kentucky

Fort Campbell Military Instillation has beautiful landscape surrounded by families cemeteries of the communities of once lived there. 

19. Rock Island State Park 

Rock Island State Park, Tennessee 

For my husbands birthday we headed east to chase waterfalls and shoot guns. One of our first stops was Rock Island State Park in Tennessee. 

18. An Eagle Above 

Icy Strait Pointe, Alaska
While on our Alaskan cruise we stopped in the Icy Strait Pointe to take a birding tour. I was lucky to capture this shot of a bald eagle above. 

17. Cumberland Mountain Waterworks 

Cumberland Mountain State Park

Another fun surprise trip was driving out to visit my mom while she was camping with the grandkids. While on this day trip I was able to capture this show at Cumberland Mountain State Park. 

16. Goodnight Moon 

The Moon from Big Rock, TN


Moon and astrophotography became another major passion in my 30s. I was also lucky to capture some really cool astronomical events!

15. Duckweed Frogs 

Big Rock, Tennessee 

We love all things frogs, turtles, and snakes in our household. We decided to help our amphibian friends by building a small pond, with free photoshoots of course. 

14. Tiny Shrooms 

Big Rock, Tennessee 

Capturing the smallest mushrooms is always a well-loved challenge. This little guy was growing among moss on a log. 

13. Whose Watching? 

Land Between the Lakes, Tennessee

You never know what you might see driving on country backroads... maybe even an owl! 

12. Fall Colors 

Cross Creeks National Wildlife Refuge

The fall colors in Middle Tennessee are some of the most beautiful in the world if you ask me. 

11. Chasing Waterfalls 

Falls Creek Falls State Park

This was the closest I had ever been to a waterfall and just WOW. 

10. The Falling Flower 

Big Rock, Tennessee

One spring I was able to capture this small flower falling from a tree, mid fall. It soon become one of my favorite images. 

9. Inquisitive Fellow

Big Rock, Tennessee

In this household, we love jumping spiders and their absolute adorableness. This little guy was the perfect little client on a summer day. 

8. Rose-Breasted Grosbeak 

Big Rock, Tennessee

An exciting sight was seeing a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak in our yard! 

7. Eagles in Sight
Icy Strait Pointe, Alaska

One of my favorite captures while in Alaska was this little fellow. 

6. A Picturesque View 

Disenchantment Bay, Alaska 

I still dream of this view. It was one of the most beautiful places I had ever seen 

5. Whale Whale Whale 

Juneau, Alaska 

Another Alaska shot was during our whale tour. Still can't believe I was able to capture this! 

4. Daylight at 9pm 

Anchorage, Alaska
Seeing the sun fully up at 9pm was something that I can't explain. 


3. Heron on a Branch

Fort Donelson National Battlefield
This felt like such a lucky capture. It's not often I get up close and personal with a giant blue heron!

2. The Fungus Among Us 

Big Rock, Tennessee

This photo lead to another creation of a book titled "The Fungus Among Us" which takes elementary students through a variety of different fungus growing in their backyards. Check it out here. 

1. The Northern Lights in Tennessee 

Big Rock, Tennessee 

This was one of those once in a lifetime moment... I seen the Northern Lights with my naked eye in Tennessee. A night I will never forget. 


So there we have it.. 36 images in the last 6 years. 

Best, 
Through the Krystal Lens

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to My View - Introductory Blog

My Thoughts on Going Instagram Viral

The Years End - That's a Wrap 2025