A Tennessee Winter Storm
A Tennessee Winter
This past weekend, we experienced a major winter storm in my neck of the woods. Stewart County, Tennessee, turned into a winter wonderland full of snow and ice. To me, winter storms are a birdwatcher’s dream! I throw out some food and, suddenly, I’m the most popular spot for all our feathered friends.
I bundled up in multiple layers and set my camera outside in the early morning hours to let it acclimate to the weather. As I settled in, the Dark-eyed Juncos were the first to show up. With their round, plump bodies of dark grey and white, they began feasting on the bountiful birdseed. I had kept my patio door open, and one curious bird ended up finding its way inside—which meant a quick selfie with my new friend before I released him back to his flock.
They were not the only feathered friends to join the party. I was lucky enough to spot Brewer’s blackbirds, a lone red-winged blackbird, crows, blue jays, cardinals, and sparrows! Every once in a while, we would open our front door to the sound of thunderous wings and watch the view turn black as the massive flock took flight.
Although it was cold, spending the morning watching the birds helped calm me. The world is full of chaos, but when I’m behind the camera, it’s just me and the world through my lens.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
Comments
Post a Comment