Cedars of Lebanon

Cedars of Lebanon is a unique, beautiful state park. 


The Cedars of Lebanon is known for their unique cedars glades. A cedar glade is a unique "natural rock garden" where limestone bedrock sits just beneath the surface, creating soil too thin for most trees to survive. These rocky openings are nicknamed for the hardy Eastern Red Cedars that ring their edges, but the real magic happens in the center. Because the environment is so harsh—baking like a desert in the summer and flooding in the winter—it is home to a collection of rare, "endemic" wildflowers that grow nowhere else on Earth.


The first trail I took was the Cedar Glade Trail. This half-mile loop takes you past three cedar glades and gives you educational information on the importance, history, and animals you can find in and around the cedar glade. As a mycophile myself, going in the winter just highlighted the abundance of moss, mushrooms, and lichen growing throughout the trail. 

.
This trail was directly behind the visitor center where you can get your Tennessee State Park stamp. The Tennessee State Park stamp program is a free way to track your visits to state parks AND once completed, earn a certificate from the state for exploring them all! My self-care this year is to visit as many as I can and (hopefully) complete my stamp book!


After the first trail, I headed over to find the cave I kept reading about in the Brochure. The Jackson Cave is located in the day-use area and is a short-hike. You do have to get a permit from the Visitor Center to enter the cave but the view from outside is worth the hike. The way I took involved going down a set of steep, rock stairs. One of my biggest fears is falling down a cliff or steep stairs - especially as someone who lives in a larger body. I took my time and went slowly down - while singing my personal theme song I've created in my mind. 


While the stairs don't look like much... for me... I was terrified. But I did it! And that's what matters. I got down safely and was able to go up close to the cave. I'll definitely be going back to check out the cave and complete some more trails - maybe even a camping trip! 






If you want to learn more about the Cedars of Lebanon, check out their website here: https://tnstateparks.com/parks/cedars-of-lebanon  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to My View - Introductory Blog

My Thoughts on Going Instagram Viral

The Years End - That's a Wrap 2025